Recap Blog of Weeks 2, 3 & 4

 Hello everyone! 

Long time no see! I haven't posted a blog in a few weeks, so I will be recapping the major highlights of the second, third, and fourth weeks of my internship experience.

I have settled into a nice routine, and I spend much of my time visiting various different sites in the field. Twice a week I visit regular mosquito collection sites for the Cs. melanura study. One of the sites, I mentioned in my previous blog post, is in the northeast part of Vermont and is almost in Canada. The second site is in central Vermont, in and around Middlebury. So, two out five days each week are devoted to collection from these specific sites. 

In mid-June we wrapped up our tick dragging efforts until the beginning of the fall. The last tick site I visited was perhaps one of the most pristine and remote areas I have visited yet. We drove on dirt roads for nearly 40 minutes deep into central Vermont. Once we arrived, I was taken aback by the sheer beauty of this place. Nestled in the valley of a mountain, we dragged through a bog-like ecosystem with views of the surrounding mountains. I spotted a spruce grouse which is endangered in Vermont. I also saw a bear cub and moose tracks! So, this was a great day for observing the natural beauties of the Vermont. 

Last week I covered the mosquito collection route of another technician who was out on vacation. This route was the farthest south I had been yet. Portions of this route follow along the White River, which is the border between New Hampshire and Vermont. For this route, I employed a trapping strategy that was new to me. The traps used hold dry ice which emits CO2. The CO2 attracts the mosquitoes, who then get sucked into a net through a fan. Once the traps are set, I return the following day to collect any mosquitoes that might have been trapped! 

Another trap I set is called the gravid trap. This trap is set up at water waste treatment facilities. In a bin, I mix together cow manure, water, and rabbit pellets. A fan is placed suspended above the trap to suck up any unsuspecting mosquitoes. This trap is meant to target different types of mosquitoes than the CDC trap or resting boxes. Mosquitoes are attracted to the foul smelling water and look to lay their eggs here. 

Thus concludes today's blog post! Be on the lookout for more blog posts soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog Post (6/2/2024)

Week 1 Recap