Blog #7: The final week (and what a week it was)

I happened to be concluding my internship experience just as things started to get busy. First, let me backtrack a little bit and provide you all with a refresher. There is a direct purpose to going into the field and collecting samples in a variety of fashions from throughout the state. We send pools of these samples to a lab to be tested for West-Nile Virus (WNV), Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), Zika, and other vector borne diseases. 

Well, as I arrived on the Monday of my last week, I learned that we had numerous positive pools of both WNV and EEE. WNV is of less concern than EEE, although both are very concerning and harmful. We had positive EEE pools in three different sites. Additionally, there was a positive human case of EEE. 

One of the sites is of particular worry because its near a densely populated area of Vermont. As such, the department must spring into action. The people above me were thinking of executing some sort of adult mosquito treatment in the area (I am not sure if this happened or not). This takes a lot of coordination. Town leaders, farmers, and the general public all must be notified. Protected lands must be considered in the application of an adulticide as well. 

These positive cases demanded more work from technicians (me) as well. All mosquitos from these sites were to be sent in for testing rather than a set number of pools. We increased collection from positive sites. I set up another trapping site near the previously positive site. This process continues even after my internship concluded. 

While it is stressful to see positive pools of EEE, it gives a sense of purpose to the work I had done all summer. I feel like the work I put in actually made some impact, which is very rewarding. 

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Blog Post (6/2/2024)

Week 1 Recap

Recap Blog of Weeks 2, 3 & 4